Skip to content
- Montgomery Locks and Dam (OR 32) – Main Chamber will NOW CLOSE for miter gates repair from 10-31-21 through 12-22-21. Auxiliary Chamber in use, but significant DELAYS expected. The original date of closure was to begin on 10-25-21. In the last 24 hours there were 0 tows, with 0 barges, that arrived and we passed 1 tow, and 2 partial tows, with 24 barges, that have averaged 121.09 hours of delay. There are currently 12 tows, and a partial, with 131 barges waiting that have averaged 106.36 hours of delay. Since November 1st, we have passed 81 tows, with 681 barges, that have averaged 66.22 hours of delay, 9.43 hours locking, for an average of 75.68 hours to pass through the lock.
- Kentucky Lock Closure (TR22.3) – Kentucky Lock closed 11/1 through 12/10 for needed repairs to the miter gates. As a result, traffic is passing through Barkley Lock and Canal. Via this route, we are restricted to 12-barge tows and we are expect 18-36 hrs delay for lockage through mid-Dec.
- Wilson Lock Closure (TR 260) – Main Chamber closure 2/23 through 4/28, effectively crippling transit to/from Decatur, Guntersville, and Chattanooga. Will run the small chamber, but only capable of locking one barge at a time. Industry working with USACE on plans for openings to pass traffic. So far the first opportunity not planned until early April.
- Lock 6 on the Allegheny River (AR 36) – still CLOSED as of 8-30-21 for repairs until further notice. Updates to come.
- Mel Price Main Chamber Closure – Main Chamber closed Dec 2022- Mar 2023 for Liftgate Replacement and Lock Dewatering.
- Starved Rock, Marseilles, Dresden Island, Brandon Rock Lock Closure 2023 – All 4 Locks will have a full closure June Thru September 2023 for repairs.
- Brandon Road Lock Restriction and Closure 2022 – March 1st through June 30th. Daytime closures, with a 70’ width restriction when lock is open. Last 21 days of project will see a Full Closure.
- Draft Reduction – Mississippi River – The river is falling quicker than expected St. Louis-South. SBD Drafts reduced to 11’0″ Dec 1st STL to Cairo with a potential for further reduction to 10’6″ this coming weekend. NBD drafts reduced to 10′ NOLA to STL and 11′ NOLA to Rosedale through Cairo.
Lower Miss/Gulf/Canals/Tenn Tom
- Lower Miss Major Closures MM 595 Delayed Start, now Thursday 12/2 – River closed during working hours 12/2 – 12/20 for intense Revetment Operations at Victoria Bend. Due to this closure, expect significant impact to north and southbound transit of multiple days. Industry establishing a traffic command center staffed 24-hrs to collaborate in real-time with the USACE and contractors. During the first 6-days of the project, there will be no ability to cease work to fully clear the queue. Traffic will run at night. Expect all boats will not clear the area nightly and delays could build to 3+ days by 12/7. Industry remains hopeful we can establish queue clearing windows every 2-3 days following this first phase to better mitigate delays.
- Port Allen Lock Closure– Lock closed to transit 0600 – 1800 11/29 – 12/1 for guidewall repairs. Seeing 6-10 hrs of delay.
- Algiers Lock Restrictions – Tows 60′ wide restricted to 600′ total length. Tows less than 60′ wide restricted to 700′ total length. Two 30K barges or Four regulation barges able to lock through in one go, but greater configurations require assistance.
- Belle Chasse Bridge Construction (WC 3)– LADOT will begin construction activities 8/2 for the removal and replacement of the drawbridge at MM 3 behind Algiers Lock. Transit will see minimal delay during work, aside for intermittent 12-hr closures for work. USACE will keep industry informed of these closures as work progresses, expected throughout 2022. Expect delays to correlate between the intermittent closures and traffic at Algiers during this project.
- Bayou Chene Closure – Due to floodgate construction, expect nightly closures (1900 – 0700) and assist vessel requirement transiting Bayou Chene. May drive delays to transit of the West Canal through the Morgan City area of 6-12 hrs.